Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Leave good from your job

I've been working in my first industry job after my masters for 8 months. I was earning a lot more than an entry level engineer due to my masters from United States and my fluent English. I had to relocate to Istanbul which wasn't a problem for me at all! I always wanted live there since it is one of the adventures to try in my opinion. Relocating meant renting a place and increase in expenses. Those of you living in big cities know that socializing actually means kind of breaking the bank account spending a few hours on the traffic.Long story short, I was excited to start in Istanbul in a firm that works for Texas (where I studies the past 2 years).

After 2 months of training period I decided that I could work in this company at least a year and get some hands on experience. Another reason to stay there min a year was to show consistency on my resume. While I have all this big plans, life kept on happening and I was no longer satisfied with my job. The time I spent there and the quality I tried to bring to the company was not appreciated by my co-workers, boss or paycheck. I guess being a new graduate gives you the hope of changing everything for great but when it comes to reality it doesn't work out.

On my 7th month, I was very clear that time I spend at that company to get my paycheck was no longer worth it. I didn't want to waste my time or occupy a seat someone else might really be interested in. I was working in a small firm and I wasn't very sure how to quit. That one day I went up to my boss telling him a few things which lead me to quit the job. I had all my big words planned but my voice trilling when I was looking at his eyes. Thankfully the conversation went a lot better than I would even expect it to be. My boss said I could always come back and start were I left off and he made sure to mention it very clearly that we will meet again in future. and he can always be a reference for me. What else could I expect? He is one of the leads in Precast industry in Turkey. Keeping the doors and leaving in peace did help me get through leaving the job part easy for me. Lesson learned: No matter what your reason/ excuse is try to turn it into an opportunity, you never know when you'll have to face those people/ conditions again.

No comments:

Post a Comment