Wednesday, January 24, 2018

How to survive something you don’t really like

Don’t get me wrong, whatever you are doing requires effort and you are there for a reason. At some points, we just work on a project/job for the money, to use time wisely or because we really don’t have anything better to do. We all have that stage in life, we know what we want but we either don’t have the time or the money to run after our dreams. This shouldn’t be something you are ashamed off. Most of us had to work part time during college for extra income. Did we think we would do such work for a life-time career? Of course not!

Sometimes best option is to give things time. Yes, I am also supporting all the go getters but sometimes everything goes wrong and you just have to wait for right things to happen. I am unfortunately at a very similar case. I have all this big dreams but I need a little more time to accomplish them I guess. I don’t hate my job, for sure. Even if I can chase my dreams there is always chance that nothing will work out and I need to do what I am doing now. Yes, I am working as a structural engineer in a well-developed international firm. Every single day I learn something new about how my design contributes to society.

But of course there are days and I am just wondering what I am doing here. I didn’t study all these years to do such a task. I make so much less than I deserve. And this list goes on. On those moments I just take a deep breath and imagine if I didn’t even have this job (I am not an optimist but realist). It is very hard to get an okay job nowadays, I know bunch of people who are unemployed. To overcome this stage of mind, I just think about what I can do that specific moment about getting to my goal sooner. Sometimes reading a blog post helps, sometimes applying to a PhD program and sometimes just writing for this blog. Like it or not, things happen for a reason. Sometimes, to be at the right place we have to overcome many not right things.

I always remind myself, at the end of the day I have a job, getting up in the morning and having a place to go to is a pleasure. I have stable income, I can have a meal outside if I want and I solve challenging problems every day.

Whatever you are going through has an ending sooner or later so don’t be harsh on yourself, just know that it will end sometime for something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment