Saturday, February 24, 2018

Spend 4 years trying to become an expert in steel structures and start your industrial career as a precast engineer

My last 2 years of life has been like a circus. Nothing I planned happened and it is still the same. I stopped being sad or stubborn about it, I am just giving it time. I am trying to get most of what I am living now, and it is not too bad, of course not as good as I planned.
I decided I loved steel structures and 3rd (junior) year of university. I had my internship on a steel design and manufacturing company in which I had chance to get involved in Adnan Menderes Airport design and construction phase for a month. The following year, I attended BUYAP DE&CO and same firm volunteered to manufacture our bridge.
When I applied to Fulbright, the reason I believe I was chosen at an interview was because of my passion to steel structures. My dream didn’t change and I also wrote my thesis on steel structures. I attended 2 steel conferences as well to keep myself improved in this industry. Long story short, as I mentioned on my title, I really did spend 4 years of my life trying to become an expert in steel structures.
When it came to job search, guess what happened? The steel industry in Turkey was down and I couldn’t get a job where I wanted. My best bet was in an international firm (who was working for Texas) in Istanbul. There was only one problem, their focus was precast structures. I made it very clear I have no experience but I am willing to learn. They were ok with it and things worked out.
This experience was also a big lesson for me. It is always good to leave all doors open. Here is the good news, after 8 months of working in precast industry I landed a job in steel structures. Besides designing them, I am also responsible for attending meetings with clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment